Richard 'Call'

Who am I ? An old enough adult photo geek in SecondLife;
What do I do ? Take pictures, photoshoots, and at moments videos;
What you can find here ? My personal view on the life in SecondLife, and also the photoshoots I make when I am not a paparazzi;

Sunday 29 November 2015

What do I use for my job ?


  • An own build tower computer, so boosted in Memory and Video;
  • Using 2 Video Adapters, 1 NVidia, and 1 Intel, as this allows me to multi-task with no major lag in SecondLife;

  • SecondLife viewers - I do say viewers, as I switch a lot between viewers depending on what I want to do:
    - NiranV Dean Black Dragon Viewer: The best viewer for Photography in SL, as it allows you a lot possibilities to you Media, Windlight and general graphical UI to the world;
    - SecondLife Viewer: Maybe weird for many of you, but it is the viewer I use for Video capture. This is really the lowest lag possible viewer to use;

  • Pictures I usually take in a resolution of 6016x3312, so huge, but this gives the advantage that the pixilation on the borders get better removed during scaling;
  • I use GiMP (http://www.gimp.org/) on my pictures, but only for 2 things - crop out what I want in my pictures, and scale them to 1024x768;
  • For video editing I use the tool ShortCut (http://www.shotcut.org/). A simple straight-forwared but very powerful free video editing tool;
  • 1024x768(4 :3 ratio) is my standard. Why, because it makes a picture more natural, and also gives the best results during posting or using as picks or profile picture;
  • I do use effects in my pictures - but effects by the viewer I use. So often I play with Depth of Field (DoF), shadows, windlight settings, and sun position;
  • One of my main tools in SL for poses is the Lumipro HUD (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LUMIPro-HUD-V3/2585413). An awesome tool with Light, Eye Gazer and Pose system;
  • Next to this one I also use: AnyPose BVH (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AnyPose-BVH-Pose-Stand-Now-with-AnyPose-Animator/774336) allowing me to tweak poses and to create my own poses and animations easily;

Oh, and OK, photoshoots with me take time, a huge amount of tim within SL.. But usually you get your pictures then also immediately.