Richard 'Call'

Who am I ? An old enough adult photo geek in SecondLife;
What do I do ? Take pictures, photoshoots, and at moments videos;
What you can find here ? My personal view on the life in SecondLife, and also the photoshoots I make when I am not a paparazzi;

Saturday 5 December 2015

Some advices for a better life in SecondLife.


This is not a guide how to have the best love life in SecondLife, or to earn your life in SecondLife, because you can't.
You can't write this down.
What I wrote down here, are my personal opinions, and are not The Truth.

No, I would like to put down some points to help you have a better experience of SecondLife when you are in it.
  1. Select which viewer you use on what you want to do:
    1. The widespread Firestorm: I find this a perfect viewer if your job is hosting events, creating in-world content, or just visiting all the awesome places around in the world. Due to its user interface based on the user experience it will make your life easier and less messier without too much HUDs and scripted attachments stuck on you;
    2. The so despised Official SecondLife Viewer: If you want a very low lag experience, use this one. OK, be careful not to overload your avatar with scripted attachments and HUDs. I would advice this viewer to the people who would like to have a very active moment in the world, such as medieval battles, or whatever battles, bikers on their ride, and so on;
    3. Niran's Black Dragon Viewer: I would call this The Viewer for photographers, movie shooters, and so on. But it is also a viewer that requires a High End hardware system, in graphics, memory and CPU;
  2. A desktop system is always better than a laptop. Laptops are always build for more general use, so they can be easy because you can move around the house with them at any moment, but if you really want or need the best quality, then invest in a standalone system. I use a laptop to connect me when I am out of the house, travelling, but then I don't take pictures or so. I just come on to meet the people and relax. When I want to take photos, I will only do that on my desktop station;
  3. Change your graphical settings often. Even if your hardware can run Ultra graphical mode with all maxed out, you don't need that. As photographer my daily life in SecondLife I live in a standard graphics setting, with much of the rings and bells disabled. And when I need them, I switch them on, use them, and switch them off.
  4. Make sure your drivers and operating system are up to date;
  5. Try to use a cabled connection to your network;
  6. If you are using WiFi connection, take time to go on a wireless channel that is not or very less used around you;
I will update this list it comes up, so you can get a better experience of the awesome world of SL.